US Photonics Inc. is geared to be an a la carte R&D facility for corporations, companies and inventors who either do not have resources in house to allocate to a project, or whom do not have the required facilities, skill sets and or equipment in general. We have also been known to be the last bastion of hope for projects thought to be too impractical or all out impossible, as we have a track record of succeeding where others have given up or failed.
US Photonics Inc. can create virtually any pattern in any material used in microfluidics applications including glasses, tissues, polymers, diamond, carbides, nitrides and stainless, with micro and nano sized features possible. We specialize in prototyping, one-offs and short runs of micro fluidics devices, along with creating tooling and systems for mass production.
The ultrafast Femtosecond laser technology used at US Photonics Inc. affords us some very crucial advantages over other state-of-the-art laser types. The most notable advantage is the lack of heat transfer during the ablation of a material which avoids the thermal damage associated with traditional machining techniques (laser, EDM, hard tool, etc.) and has the ability to cleanly ablate materials that would otherwise melt, crack or fracture, and even has the ability to ablate highly flammable materials such as the head of a match. This level of precision allows us to selectively remove nanometer scale thin films from a substrate without damage to the underlying substrate.
Our 5 axis Micro/Nanomachining center boasts a 20 nanometer following error with up to 200mm/ second speed with 150mm travel (X/Y), 360 degree continuous rotation on two axes, and 100mm Z axis travel. It also utilizes a photolithographic mask imaging system with an axial 6.6MP camera with confocal microscope based real time surface profiling and autofocus.
Medical Device Sensors
Knowledge is power, and having up to the minute information in life threatening situations is critical. Sensors for Medical devices that collect data and have it analyzed on the fly save time and lives. We can create sensors that remove the delay between sample taking and having that sample analyzed in a lab.
Mobile Communications and Portable Electronic Device Sensors
Mobile communication devices are rapidly becoming handheld appliances that serve a multitude of functions. Sensor and data collecting technology embedded in these devices empower them to be more versatile than ever before.
Defense and Aerospace Sensors
Whether on the ground or in the atmosphere, having real time data of your environment is crucial for safe and successful execution of a mission. Sensors that alert of environmental changes, record data for immediate or post scenerio analysis and sensors that initiate an automated response of integrated systems continue to be the foundation for our victories on the battlefield, and our exploration of space.
Below is a list of some of the avenues that we use to create custom sensory components and whole sensor systems, which are used to gather, compile data, and alert end users when conditions are changing. We also create custom fit software to read and gather the raw data so that it can convert it into interpretable information for the end user.
Many of the research and development projects we are involved in allow us to become very familiar with a wide range of exotic materials, which are at the forefront of many emerging technologies. Some of these include but are not limited to: advanced polymers, carbon nano tubes (CNTs), Nitinol, Quantum Dots, Solgels and Aerogels, etc. We are also familiar with taking well established materials into the nano realm, which are showing alternate and exciting properties not usually associated with the material while it is comprised of the larger, traditional particle sizes.
US Photonics can accommodate multiple facets of coatings for use in optics, sensors, circuits, etc.
- Thin Film Deposition
- Sputter Coating
- Spin Coating
- Electrophoretic Deposition
- Dip Coating
- Chemical Vapor Deposition - CVD
- Pulsed Laser Deposition - PLD
Whether it is a quick prototype resin printing, multiphoton polymerization, a CNC machined component, or a laser CNC Micro/Nano machined part, we are ready to bring new ideas to life. With the aid of advanced software such as Solidworks 2010 and Comsol Multiphysics we are able to virtually build prototypes and even test them in the computer before ever producing a physical part, saving time, resources and money. Let us turn your ideas into the tangible objects needed for testing and/or for attaining funding to further your project.
We have the ability to mark, or scribe, virtually any solid substance with our ultrafast laser, from delicate organic materials and soft plastics to the toughest metals or gemstones, all without thermal damage associated with traditional laser marking methods. This affords us the ability to mark substances that are easily damaged by excessive heat, including explosives. Not only does this allow for an exeptionally clean mark that is virtually free of charring and melting, it also allows us to make the design or text microscopic in size for identification or informational purposes while being practically invisible without the closest examination.
We also have the ability to selectively ablate (remove) a thin coating off of an underlying substrate, without marking or damaging the underlying material, such as laser cut micro patterns made in a thin layer of gold on a piece of silicon.
From hand held instruments and battery backup UPS to micro power cells and implantable devices, our drive is to continue to make smaller, more powerful and ultra reliable energy sources that can recharge faster with fewer thermal issues and maintain greater stability. Through the use of nano sized materials and state of the art chemistry, our battery technology has the potential to revolutionize portable medical devices, mobile communications and other hand held electronics while giving freedom to some devices currently deemed too power hungry for portability.
Let US Photonics overhaul your broken or worn out high tech lab equipment and production machines. We also purchase used surplus and non-functional lab equipment. We are capable of handling electronic and mechanical systems on a component level, whether it is locating and repairing faulty circuitry or custom machining pieces to replace worn out parts. Our complete laboratory equipment refurbishing service goes beyond the simple repair level, because it is our goal to ensure total overall functionality has been restored to like new condition.
Equipment We Recondition - Call for estimates:
- Physical Vapor Deposition - PVD
- Chemical Vapor Deposition - CVD
- Vacuum Systems
- Laser Systems
- Scanning Electron Microscopes - SEM
- Linux Based Control Systems
- Call if you don't see your type of equipment listed.
Micro/Nanomachining and Multiphoton Polymerization
- FemtostationTM 4-axis Femtosecond Laser Micro/Nanomachining Center (20 nanometer following error)
- PhotoLithographic mask imaging system and axial 6.6 Megapixel camera.
- Confocal Microscope based realtime surface profiling and realtime autofocus.
- 200mm/second travel speed 150mm travel (X/Y)
- 360 deg continuous rotation
- 100mm Z axis
- General Purpose Vacuum Chuck for femtosecond laser processing system
- Collet Chuck for rotary axis of femtosecond laser processing system
- Frequency doubled/quadrupled Nd:YAG Laser (1kHz - 50kHz 40 watt)
- 200 mJ Flashlamp Pulsed Nd:YAG Laser 1064 nanometer
- CW Coherent 599 Tunable Dye Laser
- Candella Pulsed Dye Laser
- CJ Lasers Copper Metal Vapor Laser, 40 Watts
- Coherent 3 Watt Krypton/Argon Ion laser with Cambridge Technologies 60kpps Galvo Scanset.
- Class 1000 HEPA cleanroom 100/ft candle lighting
- Newport SmartTable Vibration Isolation Table
- Ultrasonic Cleaning
- Reverse Osmosis water filtration system
- Hitachi S-3400N Scanning Electron Microscope with BSE detector and Variable Pressure capabilities (3 nanometer resolution 300,000X magnification)
- Swamp Optics Grenouille Frequency Resolved Optical Gating (FROG) Autocoralator for femtosecond laser pulse characterization
- Newport Dual Channel Laser Power Meter
- Tektronics 200Mhz Bandwidth 2 Gigasample Digitial Phosphor Oscilloscope with FFT/Spectrum Analyzer
- Tektronics Digital Storage Scope 100 Mhz
Fiber Laser Construction
- LX Lightwave Laser Diode Driver with TEC Cooler controller and 14 pin Butterfly mount.
- 980 nm single mode and multimode fiber coupled pump diode lasers
- 1440 nm single mode polarization maintaining fiber coupled pump diode laser
- Er+ doped fiber and 1550 nm mode locked fiber lasers for Ti:sapphire Chirped Pulse Amplifier seeding
- Fiber Polarization Control and Analysis
- Fiber Optic Connectorizing workstation and polishing (FC/APC, FC/PC, SMA)
- UV/VIS/IR Spectrometers
- FTIR Spectrometer
- 3 Axis CNC Machining Center
- Lathe and Milling Machinery
- Surface Grinding
- EDM (Wire & Sinker)
- Solidworks Office Premium 2009
- Solidworks Animator
- Solidworks 3D meeting
- eDrawings 2009
- Photoworks Photorealistic 3D Rendering
- Cosmos Motion Finite Element Analysis
- SurfCAM Computer Assisted Machining
- Eagle Cad Printed Circuit Board CAD for PCB Schematic design and Board Layout (4 layer printed circuits)
- National Instruments LabView
- DeltaTau DAC 24 bit Labview interface Data Aquisition and servo motion control system
- MesaPhotonics VideoFROG Ultrashort Pulse Analysis software with Spatial/Temporal profiling and autocoralation
- Femtosoft Technologies Quick FROG Ultrashort Pulse Analysis software with Spatial/Temporal profiling and autocoralation
Plating & Coating
- Aluminum and Titanium Anodizing and Dying
- Electroplating (Gold, Silver, Copper, Nickel, Boron Nitride, Chrome)
- Powder Coating
- Micro Blasting/Microsphere Blasting
- Aluminum Casting and Investment Casting
- Thin Film CVD
- RF/DC Sputtering
- Photoresist/Polymer Spincoating
- Annealing ovens